Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Second Baby Syndrome

Since the baby I'm lying here waiting for is our second, not our first, preparations have been a bit anticlimactic.

I remember with Juliana the infinite amount of research that went into choosing just the right stroller! carseat! bedding! Hours and hours, all of it backed up by the fear What if I don't choose the right one? Am I dooming my child's future before it's even begun?

I like to think now, as the proud parent of a happy, self-willed (very self-willed) 2 1/2 year old, I know better. I know that the right baby product might make my life easier, but the wrong product, or no product at all, is not going to turn my kids into hardened criminals sometime in the future, or send them to the therapist's couch. "My mommy didn't get me a Bumbo seat, and I've never been right since!"

That being said, we've perhaps gone too far in the other direction. We've been so superstitious with this pregnancy that we haven't done anything. Most of that stems from Juliana's rapid arrival - on Saturday we chose final name candidates for a boy or a girl, and on Sunday mommy's at the hospital five cm dilated. Tends to put a scare into you.

Last night I twisted Jason's arm into looking at birth announcements solely because I need a project to keep me occupied during bed rest. Addressing lots of envelopes would help to fill some time, but there was definitely a part of me that had misgivings as well when I placed an order online this morning.

But I don't think we're as behind as we might be - after all, we still have lots of things left over from Juliana. I went to create a baby registry at Babies R Us for this kiddo (again, mostly looking to fill time) and I only came up with 11 items to put on the registry.

So you know, baby, I think we're gonna make it after all.

Just stay in there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the picture from the famous Three Bears Park. Hope we'll see you all there this summer after your baby #2 arrives in May and our baby #1 arrives in July. You'll have to fill me in on the baby announcements. BTW, my nephew loved his bumbo chair. Is that one of the eleven things you registered for at BRU?

Unknown said...

Don't worry we did the same thing with Ally. With Zach we had everything (and I mean both boys and girls clothes ahead of time - since we didn't know), and with Ally we didn't have a name until the day we left the hospital (Even there we fudged because we hadn't settled on a middle name, so we "corrected" the birth certificate with it two weeks later, when they sent it to us).

So if you've already ordered announcements you're ahead of us.

Keep up the doing nothing!

Nancy said...

No, actually I didn't register for a Bumbo! Guess that will bring us up to 12...

Anonymous said...

How's this for - - -don't have it won't hurt your child. . . I don't even know what a bumbo chair is!